Scar tissue remediation
Scars can form from surgeries, injuries, infections, and trauma to the body. A scar can travel beyond the point of original wounding and can adhere to muscles and tendons pulling on the body affecting breathing, posture, sensation, and pleasure. In scar tissue remediation sessions, I use massage techniques with castor oil along with boundary and consent practices to help the body feel safe to unwind and soften scars and the places they adhere.
I create a safe space for the emotional and physical body during scar tissue remediation sessions as folx often hold emotions held in the scar and muscles around the circumstances to which the scar was first acquired.
I work primarily with gender affirming surgery scars and pelvic scars from infections, birthing injuries, and trauma. If you are curious about scar tissue remediation, please book a free phone consultation with me.
Frequently asked questions about scar tissue remediation sessions below.
Frequently asked questions about scar tissue remediation sessions:
What is a typical scar tissue remediation session like?
With all session types that include touch, the first session is focused on body-centered boundaries and consent practices so that you can feel safe and comfortable to ask for touch that feels best to you. Some folx desire to spend more than one session working on boundaries and consent before moving into a scar tissue remediation session. That is perfectly ok and encouraged! We can go at your own pace.
When you feel ready to receive touch to your scar, we will spend 40 min using castor oil and massage techniques to work the castor oil into the tissue. Some scars require more sessions than others, and it depends on the type of scar, it's location, and how long you have had the scar.
How many sessions do you recommend?
I recommend booking scar tissue remediation sessions in a series of at least 3-5 sessions. Some scars may require more than 5 sessions.
How often should I book the session?
At least once a week is best to start.
Can we combine scar tissue remediation with your other offerings?
Yes! Together we will come up with an individualized plan to fit your needs and desires.
You may desire to have a Tension and Trauma Release Exercises® session to help the body learn self-regulation and to discharge tension and trauma stored in the body from the event(s) with which the scar was acquired. You may also desire to learn how your scar is impacting your erotic body and your capacity for pleasure.
How should I prepare for a session?
- Eat a light snack to hold you over for the session
- Drink plenty water in the days before your session.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing.
You are more than welcome to bring your favorite pillow, stuffed animal, or blanket to feel more comfortable.
Are the sessions clothed?
Depending on the location of the scar, you may wish to remove or roll up some of your clothing. A Certified Somatic Sex Educator remains fully clothed during a session and touch is unilateral. Sessions focus on a client's personal growth, education, and development.
How much does a session cost?
Please set up a free phone consultation with me below to discuss prices of a session.
Are you scent free?
Yes. My office is a scent free space. Please refrain from wearing any scents.
River's professional education and facilitation experience
- Alfred University, Alfred, NY, B.A., Fine Arts and Design (2009)
- The Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality, San Francisco, CA, Certified Sexological Bodyworker (2013)
- The Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality, San Francisco, CA, Certified Sexological Bodyworker Training, Teaching Assistant (Spring 2014)
- The Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality, San Francisco, CA, Certified Sexological Bodyworker Training, Teaching Assistant (Fall 2014)
- Cleo DuBois Academy of SM Arts, San Francisco, CA, Erotic Dominance Intensive: The Pro Course (2015)
- Betty Martin's Like A Pro Course, Berkeley, CA, Wheel of Consent for Practitioners (2015)
- The Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality, San Francisco, CA, Certified Sexological Bodyworker Training, Co-Teacher (2016)
- Somatic Sex Educators Association, Victoria, BC, Canada, Certified Somatic Sex Educator, Student (2016)
- Somatic Sex Educators Association, Victoria, BC, Canada, Certified Somatic Sex Educator Training, Teaching Assistant (2016)
- The Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality, San Francisco, CA, Certified Sexological Bodyworker Training, Co-Teacher (2017)
- Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises, Bay Area, CA, (2018)
- San Francisco Sex Information (SFSI), San Francisco, CA, Sex Educator Training (2018)